A Man With a Plan

With nearly 15,000km clocked up on the Fat Bob I've worked out my plan of attack

Bars & Hand Controls

Man I went around the block a few times here with my decision but I'm pleased to report that following a successful mock up of the bars and risers I've found a good mechanic who is sourcing me some cables and will do the bar install. I just have to track down some turn signals. I'm leaning towards Joker machines which means removing the fork tubes but thats fine because at the same time I want to fit fork gators for a little more protection for the fork seals, (the bugs have been bad this summer) I'll also swap out the factory brushed levers with some black items.





Lighting

Originally I had opted for a single 5 3/4 bucket and LED headlight however with the release of dual daymakers for the Fat Bob I've changed my mind. I'll need to source another headlight bucket and trim ring for powdercoating as mine has some corrosion. I'd also like incorporate some sort of grill, probably out of some laser cut aluminium similar to what I run on the Beemer.



Suspension - Rear

Next up on the list will be the rear suspenders. While the Progressives give the bike a good stance they are way to stiff. If I increase preload they ride like a rock, if I decrease preload they bottom out. They do an excellent job of smoothing out smaller bumps but medium to larger ones you feel it. Legend Air Suspension did me we on my previous Dyna so I'll do the same here. At the moment they are pretty expensive with the Aussie dollar low so I'm playing this one by ear in the hope that ours goes up and I can get a set at a better price.



Suspension - Front

I want to complete the blacking out of the front end. Fork gators will go on when I do the bars but down the track when they come apart again I'm considering either a set progressive or race tech springs with better valving and some adjustable preload knobs. I'm also liking the RSD upper fork covers.


Brakes

The brakes could be better, I suspect they need a good bleed and a set of pads, will do this when the lines are off for install of the bars but eventually I want to swap out the disks as well.

Motor

No idea what i'm doing here. On the one hand 107", 110", 117" kits are fairly common place as are 120" crate motors. But I'm thinking a set of cams and an upgraded new oil pump and cam plate plus some other stronger bits and pieces will suffice for now. Bonus is and I can piece the parts together gradually. I also want to add an oil cooler.




Wheels

I really don't care for the Harley Davidson writing and stripes on my OEM wheels. As far as wheels go they are 80's muscle at its best. But the graphics are actually not applied, they were obviously stickers when the wheels were coated the removed to show the raw finish. This means you can't remove them. One option would be to paint them black, which would be easy enough but all black is a little too black as you'll see below. Another option would be to paint the lines with one shot and a pinstripe brush, i've seen white striped black rims that looked good. 






But replacing them is obviously the most hassle free but also the most expensive. I wouldn't want to go big dollar here, I also don't really want to go tubes. If I could get a 21X3.5 front and an 18X5.5 rear that handled dual disks in a wide glide fork it might be an option.


Rear Fender

On the rear fender situ this is dependent on how the bikes looks with the legends installed. The hideousness of that rear fender goes away the closer it sits to the tyre. I might be satisfied here otherwise the fender will go in favour of the WG unit.


Wide Glide Fenders














Voodoo Fenders










Paint



Now I've sprayed a few cars and am keen to try a bike. But I want something that will look good in the shade or in the sun and something that looks distressed although not faked.


I like matte colours, I like browns, teals, baby blue and purple but I'm still on the fence with what way to go.




























Comments

  1. please post a picture of your handlebars. I am trying to decide which way to go with my 2010 FXDF. T-bar or Chubby Outlawz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you search on here I have pics of my 14" chubby outlaws. Perfect mix of ape style and tbar position.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts