The Handlebar Predicament

Rewind several months and heres me "all systems go" thinking I'm down with another Street Bob for Harley #2. But as my thought process advanced and I weighed up my options I ultimately went with the fat bob. But the thing was I already had some apes set aside.


Now Fat Bobs are customisable in many different ways but despite my endless searching I'm yet to find a set of apes that look great on the fatty.

Its not just the aesthetics though. I see the FXDF as a more aggressive street fighter style scoot so I don't want to be reaching for the sky when I'm steamrolling corners.

But there are problems with low bars...
  • I'm 6'7 - I gotta have a bit of height.
  • The clutch cable on the Fatty is way short, probably only enough stretch for an inch or two of rise.Replacing it isn't out of the question just another consideration. A Street Bob or Super Glide cable would do the job. 
  • The existing drag bars are a little narrow at 27"
So this means I'm looking for around 5-8 inches rise, slightly more width (under 30"), black (Obviously) and of course aggressive and cool.

Option 1 - Protaper Bars and Risers

These are not only a solid option, they look the business and are reasonable cheap (compared to the other options). They are also fairly uncommon. This street bob was literally the only image I could find of the 4inch risers and bars. You are restricted with these risers, you can only run the specific bars to suit (there are only two bend options).



Option 2 - Westcoast TBars 6" MX TBars

The MX Tbars only come in 8", 10" and up so 6 inch has to be a special order so that adds more hassle (and wait time). Also they aren't adjustable so if the pull back isn't in the right spot I'm stuck with them.


The 8 inch variants of the MX TBars also look pretty good.





Hardcase Performance 4" Tracker Rises And any bars.

The beauty of running these bad boys is you can get them to suit 1" or 1 1/8 bars. This means your handle bar options are really varied. They are also beefy as hell, a little different and look great on wide glide front ends.


As you can see below the rise is slightly higher than where my current risers and DK extensions sit. These are actually 7" risers.



I love this Fat Bob




There are also a few other options should I want to bump my rise up to 8 inches (which is where most manufacturers enter the market.

LA Choppers Super T

These are super wide and a little too high.



I also put my research into a comparison table


NAME
Diameter
Height
Width
PullBack
Santee Bonanza Apes
1
15”
34”
5”
Stock Fatbob
1 ¼”
5.5” (Risers)
27”
5 ½”
Westcoast MXT
1 ¼”
6” or 10”
31 ½”
3 ½”
Lucky Daves Riser Bar
1”
3 ½”
29”
2 ½”
Lucky Daves San Diego Tbars
1 ¼”
10”,12”,14”
28”
2 1/2
Hardcase Performance Risers

4”, 7”


LA Choppers Super T
1 ¼”
10
33”
8”
ProTaper Tracker
1.5”
3” (4” Riser)
31 ½”
2.17”
ProTaper Outlaw
1.5”
3” (4” Riser)
31 ½”
3.43”


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts